If you happen to find yourself pondering birthday or Christmas presents for me, here are a few helpful suggestions. Don't feel obliged to constrain yourself to this list; if you find something not on this list and think "that's so Russell", feel free to surprise me.
- "Predictably Irrational", by Dan Areily
- "The Art of Asking", by Amanda Palmer
- "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain", by Betty Edwards
- "Economix: How Our Economy Works (and Doesn't Work), in Words and Pictures", by Michael Goodwin, David Bach, Joel Bakan
- "The Absolute Sandman" (Hardcover compendium), Volumes 2, 3, 4, 5 Neil Gaiman
I've recently become the owner of a Blu-ray player, but I have a fairly paltry collection of actual Blu-ray content. Most movies won't really gain much from the extra resolution, but there is a small selection of movies that are noted for their cinematic qualities that I wouldn't mind having in a high-def format.
- 2001 - A Space Odyssey
Even though I have a Blu-ray player, my preference is still for DVDs. If something is available in Blu-ray or DVD format, I prefer the DVD format.
- "Dexter", Season 4, 5, 6, 7 (4 disc Set)
- "Breaking Bad", Season 4, 5 (4 disc set)
- "House, MD", Season 6, 7 (6 disc set)
- "House of Cards" Trilogy (3 disc Set)
- Soylent Green
My taste in music is fairly eclectic - you're not generally going to find these at Sanity. If, by some chance, JB Hi-Fi has them, they will usually be in the "alternative section". I buy most of my music through iTunes Music Store these days. You can give gifts through iTunes, but don't mind iTunes vouchers.
- Tom Waits, "Glitter and Doom- Live" (2 Disc set)
- The Dirty Three, "Ocean Songs"
- Mogwai, "Government Commissions (BBC Sessions 1996-2003)"
- Mogwai, "Kicking a Dead Pig"
- Explosions in the Sky, "How Strange, Innocence"
- Explosions in the Sky, "All of a sudden I miss everyone"
- Red Sparowes, "Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Red Sun"
Some slightly easier to find options, from the classical side of things:
- Any recording of Yo-Yo Ma playing the unaccompanied Bach Cello suites (BWV1007-BWV1012)
- Any recording of Bach organ music (in particular, BWV565 Toccata and Fugue in D Minor)
- Any recording of "Fidelio", by Beethoven Op 72. (Beethoven's only opera)
- Any recording of Turandot, by Puccini.